ComiCon is almost here. Join us next Wednesday, October 26th when ESA’s Comic Comet blasts in! Everyone is invited to attend: Students, staff and parents.
The event is free, but space is limited, so please pre-register to guarantee your spot.
- in the Library; or,
- online using this Google Form; or,
- by using this QR code
We’re also looking for volunteers – staff, students and parents – to help out the night of.
- If you are interested and able to help out, please fill out this Google Form to advise.
- Thanks to those who have already volunteered.
THE AGENDA… Wednesday October 26th
- 3:30pm Registration
- 4:00pm Welcome and Keynote
Library: Willow Dawson
- 4:30pm Workshop session 1
Library: Willow Dawson
Mini Theatre: Brian McLachlan
- 5:30pm Workshop session 2
Library: Tory Woolcott
Mini-Theatre: Kean Soo
- 6:30pm Dinner… basic pizza (or similar) to be provided
Cafeteria (food service)
- 7:15pm Workshop session 3
Library: Zine Workshop (led by ESA students and grads)
Mini Theatre: CosPlay
- 8:15pm Final wrap-up
Library: Thank you’s and Raffle
- Multiple award winning author of titles including The Wolf-Birds and Hyena in Petticoats.
- Willow will lead a workshop in which she discusses the challenges and joys of writing biography, autobiography and memoir graphic novels.
- This presentation includes personal stories and anecdotes, including how she found her voice and became an author and illustrator.
- Multiple award winning author of Draw Out The Story: Ten Secrets To Creating Your Own Comics.
- Brian’s workshop will begin with a quick intro to how comics are a combination of showing + telling, and then delve more deeply into character design.
- There will be lots of audience interaction in this workshop.
- Author and illustrator of Jellaby and March Grand Prix.
- Kean will be leading a workshop about the process of making comics, with a focus on storytelling techniques.
- There’s will be lots of audience interaction in this workshop.
- Author of the graphic novel memoir Mirror Mind, which recounts her experiences growing up with dyslexia.
- Tory will conduct a writing workshop that builds a story (that can be used for comics, prose, video games, film, etc.) from the ground up, creating a protagonist and antagonist and a 5-act structure.