All students must provide 40 hours of service to their community in order to earn their Ontario Secondary School Diploma. The 40 hours cannot be earned during school hours. Volunteer work completed in the summer before grade 9 does count towards this diploma requirement. Volunteer activities must first be pre-approved by a Guidance counsellor, administrator or teacher.
There are a number of different opportunities for students to earn their hours within the ESA community such as:
- Volunteer to sell tickets for school productions at lunch
- Volunteer as ticket takers and ushers for school performances
- Assist with major school events such as photo day, auditions, etc.
- Volunteer with SESAT as a Concession/Information Representative
- Peer tutor
Students submit their hours to Student Services using the Community Involvement Form.
Students can earn their hours through:
- one time events – for e.g. the CIBC Run for the Cure
- volunteering for a charity – for e.g. weekly help at an animal shelter
- helping neighbours – for e.g. snow removal, dog walker
LINKS TO OPPORTUNITIES: