What to Expect from your Library
The Elizabeth Downie Media Library Learning Commons is a bustling hub of collaborative, cooperative, digital, global, and individual learning. With Teacher Librarians and a wealth of digital and print resources, students learn to locate, assess, process, and create the information they need for assignments, to read for fun and for depth, to tinker, explore, and make, and to become independent life-long learners.
The Teacher Librarian collaborates with classroom teachers across subject areas to design and carry out inquiry assignments, select and teach effective and ethical use of print and online resources, and maintain a physical and virtual program for students 24/7. Both individual and group instruction is available to students who wish to use these resources and learn the proper techniques of research documentation.
In addition to the materials you would expect to find in any secondary school library, the ESA Library is home to a multimedia collection of recreational and curriculum support materials with a special emphasis upon the arts programs offered at ESA. In addition to a large collection of circulating books, there:
- are unique special collections of up-to-date reference books, French materials, playscripts, artbooks, videos, CDs, music and music theatre scores;
- is a substantial collection of DVDs for academics, music theatre, drama and especially film students; and,
- a special ESA site licence providing staff and student access to Adobe Creative Suite 4 Production Premium.
Library Programming and Resources
- Research, exploration, and study are the primary focus of the Library
- Virtual Library Research Site
- Online Subscription Databases (both central and local… be sure to get the bookmarks with the login credentials)
- 18,000+ books, 30+ PC desktop computers, 20+ Chromebooks (for use in the Library)
- Seminar Room and Conference Room (with plug and play presentation capabilities) available for students and staff to book
- The Walden Room – our quiet zone, part of ESA’s suite of Wellness Initiatives
- Printing 10¢ per page B&W, colour copies vary in price from 50 cents to $1 per page (depending on the extent of the job)
Library Activities (including but not limited to…)
- Library Volunteers
- College and University Visits
- White Pine Reading Club
- Just Read It
- Freedom to Read Week
- Canadian Library Month
- Poetry Month
- Holiday Reads
- Get Caught Reading Month
- CBC Canada Reads
- Black History Month
- Hot Docs for Schools
- Visiting Authors
- Books – 3 weeks
- Reference materials do not circulate
- Graphic Novels – 1 week
- DVD’s – overnight
- Maximum 5 items per student at any given time.
- All items may be renewed as often as necessary
- students may now renew their materials (twice) online themselves when they logon to the ESA Library Catalogue.
- Overdue fines are 10¢ per day per item (25 ¢ per day for videos)
- Lost or damaged items are subject to full replacement costs or payment in kind… speak to your Teacher Librarian
- The library is open during regular class times for teachers to book classes in to work with the Teacher Librarian or on their own with their classes.
- The Library is a busy ‘Teaching and Learning” space.
- Students on spares are welcome to use the Library, when and where space allows, unless there are special events taking place which render it closed. (We have lots of special events!!)
- Additionally, the Teacher-Librarian volunteers her extra-curricular time to keep the library open after school (Monday to Thursday till 4:00 pm).
- A strong team of Library Volunteers also help to keep the Library open and operational. Visit the library to learn about opportunities for volunteering.
Accessing Library Resources Outside Library Hours
Additional support for students, staff, and parents is available 24/7.
- Students can access the library catalogue, ebooks and internet databases at home, on classroom computers or in the cross-curricular labs in the Library and Room 217.
Lastly, be sure to drop by the Library for a visit. We look forward to seeing everyone!