Applying to ESA
Application to our school is open to students with an M Postal Code. Students may audition for one or two majors. Read about our ESA Grade 9 Program. Watch our PROMO VIDEO: A DAY IN THE LIFE OF AN ESA STUDENT:
Equity at ESA
The TDSB is committed to creating an equitable school system where the achievement and well-being of every student is fostered through rich, culturally authentic learning experiences in diverse, accepting environments where all are included, every voice is heard, and every experience is honoured. The TDSB strives to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance during the application process.
Personal information contained on the application form or general information collected on behalf of the Toronto District School Board regarding the student is collected under the authority of the Education Act and in compliance with sections 14, 31 and 32 of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used for education, transportation and health and safety purposes. For further information, please contact Vice-Principal Peter Gazzellone at 416-394-6910 x 20012 or email@example.com.
- November 2, 2021 from 6:30 pm -8:30 pm: Open House + Question and Answer Evening
- The Open House Links: General Open House, Dance Open House, Drama Open House, Film Open House, Music Open House, Music Theatre Open House, Contemporary Art Open House. Each Open House session runs as follows; first session 6:30 pm-7:10 pm, second session 7:10 pm-7:50 pm, third session 7:50 pm-8:30 pm.
- November 2, 2021: ESA Online Application Goes Live
- December 10, 2021: ESA Online Application Submission Deadline
- January 10, 2022: Virtual Audition Requirement Submissions Deadline for Contemporary Art, Drama, Dance, Musical Theatre
- January 14, 2022: ESA Virtual Audition Day for Dance, Film, Instrumental Music and Musical Theatre
Application Process and Links
- Complete Form 545B_ Optional Attendance Application, Secondary. Save it as pdf and then you will be asked to upload it to the online application.
- Submit the ESA Online Application. You will be asked to upload the TDSB Optional Attendance Form, and two proofs of M postal code (Utility Bill Received by Mail, Monthly Mailed Bank Statement, Recent Notice of Assessment, Mortgage/Rental/Lease Agreement, Current Purchase and Sale Agreement, Property Tax Bill, Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Works/Ontario Disability Support Program, Child Tax Benefit Statement) to the online application.
- There is no audition fee.
- Once the online application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email from Google Forms (forms-receipts-noreply@Google.com). If it does not land in your inbox, please check your Junk Folder.
Next Steps (after Application)
- Applicants will be notified of the details of their audition via email in early January 2022.
- Virtual auditions will be held for Dance, Film, Instrumental Music and Music Theatre on January 14, 2022.
- Offers of admission will be emailed.
- You must confirm your offer of acceptance.
Please ensure you follow the audition requirements below for the major you are applying to
- Applicants may audition for one or two majors. Students must indicate first and second choice of major on the online application.
- Applicants must complete the online application and upload all required documentation.
- Applicants will only be offered one program placement. Those who audition for two majors and are successful in both auditions will be offered their first choice of major as they have designated on their application.
- If an applicant to Grades 11-12 does not have an Ontario Ministry of Education prerequisite, please contact Vice-Principal Gillian Elango, prior to submitting an application to discuss equivalent forms of prerequisite courses.
Contemporary Art Major
- Contemporary Art Audition Information Grades 9 and 10 2022
- Contemporary Art Audition Information Grades 11 and 12 2022
- Document Your Art for the ESA Audition.docx.
- To learn more about the Contemporary Art program: www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1OX37zlhs
- To learn more about the Contemporary Art audition process: www.youtube.com/watch?v=suoQ5doKnzU
- Learn more about Contemporary Art as a Major www.esava.ca and www.esainfo.ca/majors-academics/visual-arts
- Dance Audition Information 2022
- Learn more about Dance as a Major
- Learn more about being in the ESA DancESAtion company (video)
- How to Film a Monologue
- Audition Day 2022 – Drama requirements
- Upload your audition monologue
- Learn more about Drama as a Major
- Film Audition Grade 9 2022
- ESA Film Evaluation Criteria – Grade 9 – 2022
- Film Audition Grade 10, 11 and 12 2022
- ESA Film Evaluation Criteria – Grades 10, 11 and 12 – 2022
- Learn more about Film as a Major
Instrumental Music Major
- Instrumental Music 2022 Audition Information for Grade 9
- Instrumental Music 2022 Audition Information for Grades 10-12
- You may play any piece you like for your audition. If you are looking for a piece please see the following links: Alto & Bari Sax ESA Audition, Bass Clarinet ESA Audition, Clarinet ESA Audition, Flute ESA Audition, French Horn ESA Audition, Mallet Percussion ESA Audition, Oboe ESA Audition, Tenor Sax ESA Audition, Trombone & Baritone ESA Audition, Trumpet ESA Audition Tuba ESA Audition.
- Learn more about Music as a Major
Music Theatre Major
- Music Theatre Audition Information Grade 9
- Music Theatre Audition Information Grade 10-12
- Join ESA Music Theatre! Promo Video
- Learn more about Music Theatre as a Major
- How to submit your self-tape
Frequently Asked Questions regarding ESA’s Application & Audition Process
Can I audition for more than one major?
Yes, you can. Applicants can audition for one or two majors but will only be offered admission into one. Students who audition for two majors need to indicate their first and second choice of major.
If I audition successfully for more than one major, which one will offer me a spot?
When a student is successful in both of their auditions, we will make an offer of admission into the first choice. If you are unsuccessful in your first choice audition, but successful in your second, then we will offer you admission into the second choice.
Who are the adjudicators?
The adjudicators are teams made up of teachers, professionals and graduates currently working in the artistic field.
Can I include letters of reference from other sources?
No, please do not. This is not required at all.
What is an optional attendance form?
The optional attendance form is a document used by the TDSB to track a student’s application when they decide not to apply to their home school. It must be uploaded to the online application by all applicants. As per TDSB directive, application to our school is only open to students who are residents of the City of Toronto (M Postal Code).
Should I include a photograph with my application?
No, please do not include any photographs with your application.
Will there be an ESA student/parent information session?
Yes, our virtual open house will be on November 2, 2021 from 6;30 pm to 8:30 pm.
How do I know what to prepare for the audition?
Please view our auditions requirements for each major for detailed information.
When will I know the results of my audition(s)?
All applicants will receive an email informing them of the outcome of their audition(s). Successful applicants will have ample time within the TDSB optional attendance deadlines to make an informed choice.