Applying to ESA
Application to our school is open to students with an M Postal Code. Due to Covid-19, auditions will take place virtually this year. Students may audition for one or two majors. Read about our Grade 9 Program.
Equity at ESA
The TDSB is committed to creating an equitable school system where the achievement and well-being of every student is fostered through rich, culturally authentic learning experiences in diverse, accepting environments where all are included, every voice is heard, and every experience is honoured. The TDSB strives to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance during the application process.
Personal information contained on the application form or general information collected on behalf of the Toronto District School Board regarding the student is collected under the authority of the Education Act and in compliance with sections 14, 31 and 32 of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used for education, transportation and health and safety purposes. For further information, please contact Vice-Principal Petal Farquharson at 416-394-6910 x 20011 or email@example.com.
- November 9th at 9am: Online Application Goes Live
- November 16th 7-9pm: Open House + Question and Answer Evening
- December 9th 12pm: Online Application Submission Deadline
- January 15th: Virtual Audition Day
Application Process and Links
- Complete the fillable TDSB Optional Attendance Form. Save it as pdf and then you will be asked to upload it to the online application.
- Submit the online application. You will be asked to upload the TDSB Optional Attendance Form, and two proofs of M postal code (Utility Bill Received by Mail, Monthly Mailed Bank Statement, Recent Notice of Assessment, Mortgage/Rental/Lease Agreement, Current Purchase and Sale Agreement, Property Tax Bill, Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Works/Ontario Disability Support Program, Child Tax Benefit Statement) to the online application.
- There is no audition fee.
- Once the online application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email from Google Forms (forms-receipts-noreply@Google.com). If it does not land in your inbox, please check your Junk Folder.
Re: Audition fees for the 2020-21 Audition Process
Please be advised that ESA will not be charging audition fees for applications received for 2020-2021 enrolment. If you have submitted an application prior to Monday, November 16, you will be refunded your audition fee by Friday, November 20th through School Cash Online. Also, please allow 24 to 48 hours for the funds to be processed.
If you have any questions or concerns, please correspond with ESA’s main office at 416-394-6910.
Next Steps (after Application)
- Applicants will be notified of the details of their audition via email in early January.
- Virtual auditions, if held, will take place January 15, 2021.
- Offers of admission will be emailed out early February 2021.
- You must confirm your offer of acceptance.
- Application to all TDSB schools is open only to students with an M Postal Code.
- Applicants may audition for one or two majors. Students must indicate first and second choice of major on the online application.
- Applicants must complete the online application and upload all required documentation.
- Applicants will only be offered one program placement. Those who audition for two majors and are successful in both auditions will be offered their first choice of major as they have designated on their application.
- If an applicant to Grades 11-12 does not have an Ontario Ministry of Education prerequisite, please contact Vice-Principal Petal Farquharson, prior to submitting an application to discuss equivalent forms of prerequisite courses.
Contemporary Art Major
- Contemporary Art Audition Information Grades 9 and 10 2021
- Contemporary Art Audition Information Grades 11 and 12 2021
- To learn more about the Contemporary Art program: www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1OX37zlhs
- To learn more about the Contemporary Art audition process: www.youtube.com/watch?v=suoQ5doKnzU
- Learn more about Contemporary Art as a Major www.esava.ca and www.esainfo.ca/majors-academics/visual-arts
- ESA Dance Audition Criteria 2021-2022
- Learn more about Dance as a Major
- Learn more about being in the ESA DancESAtion company (video)
- Audition Day 2021 – Drama requirements
- How to Film a Monologue
- Drama 2021 Provided Monologues
- Learn more about Drama as a Major
- Film Audition Process: Grade 9 2021
- Film Evaluation Criteria: Grade 9 2021
- Film Audition Process: Grades 10, 11 and 12 2021
- Film Evaluation Criteria: Grade 11 and 12 2021
- Learn more about Film as a Major
Instrumental Music Major
- Instrumental Music Grade 9 2021 2022
- Instrumental Music Grades 10, 11, 12 2021 2022
- You may play any piece you like for your audition. If you are looking for a piece please see the following links: Alto & Bari Sax ESA Audition, Bass Clarinet ESA Audition, Clarinet ESA Audition, Flute ESA Audition, French Horn ESA Audition, Mallet Percussion ESA Audition, Oboe ESA Audition, Tenor Sax ESA Audition, Trombone & Baritone ESA Audition, Trumpet ESA Audition Tuba ESA Audition.
- Band Evaluation Form 2021
- Strings Evaluation Form 2021
- Learn more about Music as a Major
Music Theatre Major
- Join ESA Music Theatre! Promo Video
- Music Theatre Audition Information Grade 9
- Music Theatre Audition Information Grade 10-12
- Learn more about Music Theatre as a Major
- How to submit your self-tape
Frequently Asked Questions regarding ESA’s Application & Audition Process
Can I audition for more than one major?
Yes, you can. Applicants can audition for one or two majors but will only be offered admission into one. Students who audition for two majors need to indicate their first and second choice of major.
If I audition successfully for more than one major, which one will offer me a spot?
When a student is successful in both of their auditions, we will make an offer of admission into the first choice. If you are unsuccessful in your first choice audition, but successful in your second, then we will offer you admission into the second choice.
Who are the adjudicators?
The adjudicators are teams made up of teachers, professionals and graduates currently working in the artistic field.
Can I include letters of reference from other sources?
No, please do not. This is not required at all.
What is an optional attendance form?
The optional attendance form is a document used by the TDSB to track a student’s application when they decide not to apply to their home school. It must be uploaded to the online application by all applicants. As per TDSB directive, application to our school is only open to students who are residents of the City of Toronto (M Postal Code).
Should I include a photograph with my application?
No, please do not include any photographs with your application.
Will there be an ESA student/parent information session?
Due to Covid-19 there will not be an in person open house session. We are hosting a Live Q and A on November 16, 2020 from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm.
How do I know what to prepare for the audition?
Please view our auditions requirements for each major for detailed information.
When will I know the results of my audition(s)?
All applicants will receive an email in early February 2021 informing them of the outcome of their audition(s). Successful applicants will have ample time within the TDSB optional attendance deadlines to make an informed choice.